intermittent ignition

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: intermittent ignition
From: mbarre@juno.com (Matt Barre)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 10:03:49 PST
Cc: tboicey@isocan.com
Trevor Boicey & Mark Anderton complained of intermittent operation of
their lucas electronic ignition.

I may have been lucky, but when my 80 Spit did that I opened the box and
a electronic technician friend repotted the primary transistor.  There
is a silicon dielectric heat transfer compound that promotes the heat
transfer away from the transistor that can lose effectiveness.  After
this operation I experienced no further problems.

On my TR6 I have had excellent experience with the Crane unit.  On my
recently sold 74 TR6 when the ignition went out, Crane replaced the unit
in a matter of days with no hassle.

I have a new Crane unit for my TR-3 (under resto) but am considering
going with the Ignitor unit as it is contained completely inside the
distributor cap and thus may look more appropriate in the 3.  If the
repot doesn't work for you I would consider selling the NIB Crane unit.

mrb