50 Weight Oil is RIGHT

To: stuartb@voicenet.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 50 Weight Oil is RIGHT
From: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 11:23:40 -0500
In a message dated 96-11-22 09:11:32 EST, stuartb@voicenet.com (Stuart
Bollen) writes:

> Why use an obsolete type oil?

We run Valvoline 50 Racing (straight weight) in the 63 Capri.  It has a 73
Kent motor, never rebuilt.   Has an estimated
 250,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 miles on it and has never been rebuilt.
 It could use a good rebuild, especially a valve guide refurbishing.  Still
has good oil pressure and no rod noise.

But I will tell you why we use straight weight 50 (no, not because it leaks
out slower).  The car simply does not smoke when we use it.  Multi-weights ,
even 20w-50, smoke.  Straight weight does not.  Its that simple.  Don't know
why it works.  But it does, and the engine runs better now than when we
bought the car three years ago.

The tip came from an experienced auto racer/mechanic with Bimmer experience.
 He specified top quality racing 50 weight.  This is the second car we have
successfully treated with this method.

Maybe there  are some engineers or chemists who can shed some light on this.

Brian

79 Spitfire
65 Spitfire
63 Consul Capri