Re: Dash Refinishing

To: Robb Baugher <rbaugher@naplesnet.com>
Subject: Re: Dash Refinishing
From: Mike Mason <mmason@lindenwood.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 10:10:22 -0600 (CST)
Cc: suhring@lancnews.infi.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
I have a 73 TR6 and I relaminated the dash panel while it was out.  I
don't know if the finish was stock, but it was like thick "decopage'" or
plastic that was checked and cracked.  With a chisel and matt knife it
chipped off easily.  (Cleaning up the kitchen of all those little flying
bits of plastic was a pain.)  I had intended to resand the original wood,
but there were a few chips and the IFO had drilled a couple of big holes
for switches and other junk.

So I plugged the holes and got a piece or Walnut veneer to cover the
whole thing.  The tedious part was carefully cutting all the holes.  Took
a couple of hours with a craft knife and good light.  But now it's
beautiful and without extra holes.  Total cost was about twenty bucks for
the laminate and glue.  I already had the finishes.

Good Luck

Michael, St. Louis