re: '69 Spit Window and Hinge questions. (longish)

To: esc@firstnethou.com
Subject: re: '69 Spit Window and Hinge questions. (longish)
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 20:30:26 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Eric,

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996 17:24:17 -0600 You Wrote:

-snip->  .... I looked in the door and there is a piece of something
>(rubber?) that looks like the window is supposed to be wedged into to hold
>it in the track(I will call it the "PIECE").

I've heard it called "packing" also.

>Is the window just shoved in there?

Sort of... (more on this later)

>Would I be wasting my time trying to use the old piece?

Possibly... (more on this later)

>Should the piece be placed on the window and then both put it together or
>should the piece be in the track before I try to put the window in?

The packing piece should be glued in the lower track first.
(more...)

>I suspect that the old piece should be replaced even thou it looks ok.
>After all, if it were really OK the window probably wouldn't be laying on
>the floor.  But does anyone know where to get this part?  Is it something
>that Moss,Victoria British or TRF might carry?

I haven't seen it listed in any of the catalogs.  It's the same stuff
found on more 'conventional' cars though.  Perhaps it could be purchased
from an general automotive glass shop and trimmed to the proper size.

(the more... part)
IMHO you will have to take the door apart to re-fit the glass.
The lower channel must be extricated from the door to examine
the 'piece' and to properly insert the glass into it.  It entails
removing quite a few additional items, and can be a time consuming
experience.  This might explain why your door glass was where you
found it.  You'll need 'the book' that lists the procedure for removing all
this stuff.  This is a good time to replace rubber (& fuzzy)  window seals
and adjust/lubricate the window/door mechanisms etc.

The 'piece' must form a nice even "U" channel around the base of the
glass. It is very difficult (impossible) to see/work with it while inside the
door,
but relatively easy once the lower channel is out where you can get to it.
If the 'piece' gets doubled over or creased the glass will not seat properly
in the
lower channel creating  alignment problems (especially with hard top).
Also the glass will flop around and probably come out again.

Years ago I learned about these windows the hard way.  I thought I
could save time removing the windows by 'brute force'.  The glass
can be extracted without the lower channel (and piece) by pulling it
[very hard] upward.  Resulting in the 'free' window glass that you have.
The time saved was insignificant compared to time and frustration involved
in trying to re-fit the glass using the
[straightforward-reversal-of-disassembly-procedure].  I had to remove all
the hardware anyway to refit the glass properly.  FWIW my 'pieces' were
folded over in the channel but serviceable once I got the lower channels
out of the door where I could work with them.

#2  [door hinge pins]
There has been a couple of good answers to this one already.

Have fun,
Bob Sykes  (s1500@aol.com)    -  - -     __,@_\____
'78 Spitfires                   -  --    }-0-----0->