TR3 Steering Box Lubrication and Carb. dashpot oil

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Steering Box Lubrication and Carb. dashpot oil
From: jibrooks@juno.com (Jack I Brooks)
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 22:09:19 EST
As I await the arrival of an owners manual, I am reading in the Haynes
manual about checking the level of lubricant in the gearbox.  I know it
gets filled via the rubber plug hole up a ways on the streering column,
but how do you check the level?

Also,  what is the function of the oil in the dashpot in the top of the
Carbs?  A dashpot dampens something, but what?

BTW,  I found Hypoid gear lube, GL4 ( no mention of GL5 on the label at
all) at PEP boys, an automotive discounter in the East.  It is Sta-Lube
API/GL-4 Multi-Purpose Hypoid Gear Lube, SAE 85W-90.

Thanks in advance for you assistance.

Jack Brooks
Hillsdale, New Jersey
1960 TR3-A TS69032L