Re: TR3 Steering Box Lubrication and Carb. dashpot oil

To: jibrooks@juno.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Steering Box Lubrication and Carb. dashpot oil
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 13:31:19 -0500
In a message dated 96-11-23 22:32:49 EST, jibrooks@juno.com (Jack I Brooks)
writes:

> Also,  what is the function of the oil in the dashpot in the top of the
>  Carbs?  A dashpot dampens something, but what?

Jack, the oil in the dashpot dampens the action of the downdraft piston.  The
metering needle comes out of the bottom of the piston and the movement of the
piston up or down opens or closes the fuel orifice (since the needle is
tapered) as you step on or off the gas pedal.  Therefore smooth piston action
eliminates any lag in the increase of gas/air ratio, hence in acceleration.

BTW - I checked the original called-for viscosity of the oil and found that
it was 20W.  However I never could find 20W oil  - BUT VB, and TRF sell what
they call "dashpot oil" and I assume (I know about assuming :-) ) that it is
probably 20W; it seems thin enough.  I bought some in '93 and filled the
dashpots on my Zenith Stromberg 175CDs and am getting smoother performance
than previously.  I know that a 4.2oz bottle, which is what they sell, is
expensive but it lasts a long time. The resevoir is very small and you don't
have to replace it that often  Cheers.

Art Kelly