Spit Replacement Tops

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit Replacement Tops
From: Dee Jackson <dee_jackson@gilbarco.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 96 9:25:10 EST
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]
On  Sat, 23 Nov 1996 19:56:24 Ken Tharp wrote:

-snip-
> but I'm interested in hearing other list
>members' opinions on the various types of tops that are available for
>when I do pick one up. Victoria British has tops by three different
>manufacturers, for example. (Crown, Robbins, & Tickford OE.)

Last spring I had to replace the top (hood) on my Spit.  I got an Amco top
thru British Parts NW for $138 USD. It is what I would call an "idiot's" top.
(perfect for my application) ;^) All the snaps are pre-installed in the
factory locations and they fit perfectly.  Also, Amco places a chalk line
at the leading edge of the top where it attaches to the header rail. I used
this guideline but wish I had made the top just a little tighter, so use the
line as a starting point.  As was suggested to me by an esteemed member of our
list, you might want to wait to glue the top to the header until it stretches
a bit and you're sure it has the right amount of "tautness".

All in all, the Amco has worked very well for me.  Unfortunately, as of
yesterday, it has been retired for the winter and replaced by the hardtop.
Hopefully, we'll have some of those bluebird, mid 60s F days this winter and
I can again briefly experience the thrill of open air motoring.

D.
'78 Spit FM 90204UO
--
dee_jackson@gilbarco.com    Gilbarco Inc. Greensboro, NC    voice 910/547/5007