Spitfire 1500 clutch hydrolics

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire 1500 clutch hydrolics
From: "Brent Martin" <b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 07:52:20 -0700 (PDT)
Anyone know Spitfire 1500 clutch hydrolics in detail? I have run into a
problem. My master and slave cylinders have been leaking so I decided to
rebuild them. I got replacements off a friend's parts car (74 or 75) that I
planned to rebuild (plan being to replace mine with these so that I didn't
need to hurry doing the rebuild). Well the replacement slave was not in as
good as shape as I hoped so I held off rebuilding it until I pulled mine off
the car (to pick the best of the 2). The problem is that they are different.
My car is a '77 but has had a tremendous amount done on it by previous
owners and all the parts are suspect. It had what seemed to be an 80 engine
and I have no idea the vintage of the bellhousing and clutch slave.

The "replacement" slave is aluminum and about 3/4" shorter than the
"original" which is steel. The "original" does not fit into the slave clamp
of the "replacement". VB indicates a slave change in 66-67 but no others;
TRF indicates a slave change in 76-77. So here's the questions:

1. are the nuts holding the slave clamp onto the bellhousing "captive" or
will they fall into the bellhousing if I takes the bolts out of the clamp?
(not the bolt that holds the slave; the bolts that hold the clamp onto the
bellhousing)

2. what vintage are these slaves? (which TRF rebuild kit do I need for
each?)

3. will my clutch work if I replace the long steel one with the short
aluminum one?

thanks, brent