TR 3 Glove Box Door

To: Kuispis@aol.com
Subject: TR 3 Glove Box Door
From: dwilliam@mail.educ.gov.bc.ca (David Williams)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 13:50:06 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Frank,

I have a similar tale of woe...including the DPO hacking through the door
to install an AM radio.

My solution has been this:

1.  For $5 CAN. I found a piece of 1/4" exterior grade plywood with an Ash
veneer as the finished surface (not critical, but closest to the original).
Traced the door outline on the plywood and cut it out.

2.  I micrometered the aluminum backing and found a replacement of the
exact same thickness at a sheetmetal shop (they gave it to me as scrap)
Traced the backing outline on the aluminum and used a soft-metal blade on a
scroll saw (jig-saw will do) to follow the outline.

3. Clamped the two pieces together and used a fine file to get to exact
shape and followed with some 400 grit wet-dry sandpaper to smooth off the
aluminum edges.

4.  Carefully marked out the positions for the screw holes and drilled and
countersunk them.  Drilled out and bent up the 'rod holder' .

5.  Am currently waiting for a 'used' hinge to show up from a contact on
this list (but am still looking for a source for a similar hinge that could
be chromed so that I could look at making one or two more with  the
remainder of the plywood and aluminum)

6.  Once the hinge shows up, I'll rivet the hinge to the aliminum, cover
the wood with the appropriate vinyl (I've got a TRF kit for the whole
dash), attach the wood to the aluminum (small chromed screws), drill out
the hole for the lock (also TRF, and of course I'll use backing!!) and hey
presto!...a new door.

You should not have too much trouble... with the black vinyl and assuming
that the wood and aluminum are OK for tracing....if not , it shouldn't be
too hard to find one to trace....or I could send you a cardboard template,
or I could make up another piece of wood and aluminum and sell it to you
and retire.  The hinge has been the most difficult part so far....but even
that would be a fairly simple sheet metal and plating project...if only I
didn't have this damn day job.

David J. R. Williams
TS 12287L
CF 18015