TR7 Alternators and TR250 & TR6 Haynes Manuals

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR7 Alternators and TR250 & TR6 Haynes Manuals
From: "Brent McNabb" <nin@sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 09:14:08 -0600
First of all, to all the people that responded to my offer for a TR250 &
TR6 Haynes manual, I have lost everybody's mail messages, since my home
computer deperately needed to have the hard drive wiped, and I forgot to
save the messages... Sorry!  I will respond to probably the first reply I
get to this message, and send it out to that person...  The details:  I
have a TR250 & TR6 Haynes manual, the copyright date on the book is 1976 or
1977, and it does cover all years of TR250 & TR6, 1967 to 1976 I believe,
and even has a section on PI.  Its in ok shape, softcover edition, my only
request in the way of money is shipping, other than that its free.

Secondly, I have a question to any Lucas/TR7 experts out there.  I have a
1980 TR7 drophead, and have been in search for an alternator for it.  I
found a local auto parts store who was able to find one in California, and
have it shipped here, and included a lifetime warranty on it.  The only
problem is, the connector on the back of it is different from the one I
have on the car.  My question is, according to his parts books, Lucas
supplied a different alternator in 1980, and he says I have a 1979 model
car.  The build date on the plate inside the door indicates Sept. 79, which
in model year, makes in an 1980, and every part that I've ever ordered, has
indicated that it is an 1980.  The most different being the spark plug
wires, I ordered them for a 1979, and I had to return them for 1980 wires,
and they fit perfectly.  I have looked through 3 different British car
parts catalogs, and they all list 2 different part numbers for the Lucas
25ACR alternator.  But, they separate the years with 1976-80, and then
1980-81.  I would assume then that the different 25ACR for the 80-81 is for
fuel injected cars, and the carb. cars carry the earlier 25ACR.  I think
they found an alternator for a FI car, and didn't know the difference, but
now they're trying to charge me shipping because it is the wrong
alternator, but I don't really think it was my mistake, since I did specify
that my car had A/C, and carbs on the order form.

My basic question is, is there a big difference between the alternator for
the FI cars and the carb cars, and what is the difference between the 76-80
25ACR and the 80-81 25ACR?

Brent McNabb
1980 TR7 30th Anniversary Edition Drophead Coupe