Re: triumphs@autox.team.net digest #440 Tue Nov 26 10:43:50 MST 1996

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: triumphs@autox.team.net digest #440 Tue Nov 26 10:43:50 MST 1996
From: jacad <jacad@cam.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 20:52:26 -0500
> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 10:30:26 PST
> From: mbarre@juno.com (Matt Barre)
> Subject: TR3 seat upholstery
>
> The time has come to install my new seat kits.  When I removed the old
> ones to check the pans I found the plywood tack strips had deteriorated.
>  I was going to replace them with plywood but will instead be using a
> synthetic (plastic) tack strip recommended by an upholstery shop as it
> holds staples very well and doesn't rot.
>
> My question is can anyone remind me of the correct placement of the tack
> strips?  ISTR that one laid flat in a U shape along the back of the base
> pan and the other ran along the base of the seat back.  I had been pretty
> good about getting photos or shooting video of disassembly in the past
> but felt that surely "I could remember these details!!!" (wrong).  TIA
>
> mrb

Matt,

   I'm assuming that your TR3 has the same seat construction as my TR3A.
 If you are using the orginal seat backs and bottom frame you will find
holes exactly where you will need to put your new wood or plastic.
I believe, if memory serves me well, that on the fixed back seat there
is just one strip that is riveted to the back bottom edge running from
one side to the other.
On the other seat, the bottom pan has a piece riveted to the bottom
which follows the curve of the back side edge and the top piece has one
strip running along the bottom inside edge.
If you do go with wood you will have to laminate 1/8" plywood strips as
the wood which originally was approx 3/8-1/2" thick curves. Especially
difficult is the one that goes on the inside back which has an inward
bow and has to bend downward on either end to follow the frame contour.
Maybe using the plastic material would be a better choice if you are
able to easily bend it in both directions. The wood/plastic should be
riveted through the seat thru the rivet holes. The original rivet had
one side flat and the other side of it has press back tabs.

Good luck

Barry Shefner
59 TR3A OTS 57675