Non-LBC Content - FDR Requirements

To: "Triumph Group" <triumphs@autox.team.net> (Return requested)
Subject: Non-LBC Content - FDR Requirements
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 27 Nov 1996 09:53:13 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 074AC329C800901D-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <074AC329C800901D*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
The following is a description of the types of tests that flight data
recorders must survive before certification [and is not a joke].  Thought
each of you might like to try some of these flight data recorder tests on
your own vehicle and share the results with the rest of the list subscribers
. . . . . .
Certification testing criteria for flight data recorders (FDR's):

The following tests must be done in sequence to the SAME recorder.

1) Impact Test

Recorders must survive a 3,400G impact test, the equivalent of an airplane
going 400 mph and stopping in 18 inches.  A Chinese 737 reportedly
experienced such an impact when it crashed into the face of a cliff at 400
mph.  To satisfy this test, the FDR is fired out of a cannon at a "brick"
wall.

2) Penetration Test

A 500-pound weight with a 1/4 inch pin at the business end is dropped from a
height of 10 feet onto the most sensitive part of the FDR.

3) High Intensity Fire Test (flamethrower)

To simulate a post-crash fire, the unit is scorched with a high intensity
(50,000 BTUs) fire of 2,000F for one hour.  This is an important test, as
the silicon that makes up the crucial element of the digital memory won't
take more than 300 degrees of heat for any length of time.

4) Smoldering Heat Test (oven)

In this test, the recorder is baked for 10 hours at 260C to simulate a
smoldering post-crash fire.

5) Crush Test

The unit is subjected to 5,000 pounds of static crush for a period of five
minutes.

6) Deep Pressure and Salt Water Tests

To simulate the conditions an FDR might encounter at the bottom of a deep
ocean trench, the unit spends 30 days in a pressure chamber equivalent to
being submerged beneath 20,000 feet of water.  Units, and their 30-day audio
pingers, are
also tested by submersing them in salt water at a depth of 10 feet for 30
days.

Source:  FLYING magazine, December 1996, Page 90.

I tried all of the above tests on my Mk I Spitfire that is nearing
completion of its frame off restoration.  I am pleased to report that it
passed with flying (no pun intended) colors, although the new paint was
slightly scorched from the high intensity fire test.  Standard Triumph sure
made some tough little vehicles in the 60s.

Happy T-G everyone.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4