Re: TR6 Advice Needed

To: msukey@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Advice Needed
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 17:32:03 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi,

In answer to your queries:

1. Not sure if Tokiko has anything for TR6. Spax are okay, I put some on
this year. I like the results. They cost about $180 a pair. This is a
good item to buy during the winter parts sale at your favorite TR mail
order business. Koni's should be a little better than Spax. They'll also
cost a little more unless you get a better discount from a Moss
distributor like Dick Burger (Hi Dick!).

2. Sway bars: Good's stuff looks okay, but I think he's a little pricey.
If your semi-serious, get the Addco from JC Whitney. I think the TR6
setup for 7/8" front and 3/4" rear is part number 129 and part number
929. Figure $250 or a little more. You need to change your driving style
with a rear bar!!! I have pictures of my car with the inside rear wheel
fully 4 inches or more off the pavement with the rear bar. If you are
mondo serious, look into the type of swaybar that the circle track guys
use. John Lye has this setup on his TR4, and it is lighter than Addco and a
better looking install. (Hi John!) John, look at the video on the tape I
sent you, the stuff after the VTR stuff. On my second run I have both
driver's side wheels airborne on a left turn. Wow!

Oh, if you go rear bar and are not really really really smooth, then you
should consider a Quaiffe or locked rear end (see "wheel in the air" above.)

3. No comment on the carb probs, but if you are getting black smoke, you
are either flooding or losing ignition briefly. I'd bet on flooding. What
kind of fuel pump do you have? Is it stock mechanical? If so, you might
want to consider an electric fuel pump and regulator. You might also have
problems with fuel sloshing in the tank. I've had that problem. If I run
with less than 1/8th tank of fuel, I get starvation on right turns. I
also get serious fuel starvation when my tank runs lower that 0/0. In
fact, it doesn't run at all when empty ;-)

Bye,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? 3.5, for now.