New is a relative term(long talk)

To: emanteno@ix.netcom.com
Subject: New is a relative term(long talk)
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 20:52:25 -0500
Cc: amace@unix2.nysed.gov, triumphs@autox.team.net
Scions,

      An interesting point you are all overlooking is the fact
that Triumph, as most of us know it (TR 2 through TR 8) is a
resurected mark to begin with!  According to what I've read in
Steve Rossi and Ian Clark's "TR 250 & 6 Compainion", as well as in
Chris Harvey's "TR for Triumph", the original Triumph company was
leveled during WW II. Then a man named John Black wanted to build
a sports car, to satisfy his ego ( he had been jealous of Jaguar
getting all the fame and money). So he bought Triumph. Then he sold
off the few remaining assets and he was soon left with basically
just the rights to use the name.  Is this beginning to seem like
the current situation, or what?  (Wait it gets better..)
    Then our intrepid John Black began to build a brand new sports
car!  From a totally different lineage than any earlier Triumphs!
(Such as the 1939 Standard Eight Tourer, 1935 Soutern Cross, or
1934 Gloria Speed).  And as a matter of fact, he even underfunded
the R&D on this car, utilizing his own company's (Standard) family
sedan parts!  I wonder if the "real" Triumph enthusiasts of those
days complained.
    I am not as cynical and sarcastic as it would seem, reading the
above commentary, I'm just being a little facetiuos. While I must
confess, it does seem degrading to the "Marque" to have its name
resurected after a sixteen year hiatus just to add a(n immediate)
sense of "heritage" to a new line of automobiles, especially since
we feel so attached to them, it must be remembered that it was done
already once, and we really don't seem to mind...
   Feeling somewhat philosophical (what else is new...), I take it
this way: it's the spirit that matters.  Just as a 1965 Ford Mustang
is rather unlike a 1995 Mustang, they embody the same "spirit".  So
as long as the proposed new Triumph like the (boringly styled) MGF,
(which, unfortunately looks just like a Ford Taurus) handles well,
and is reasonably priced, I say let it happen.  Not that my opinoin
really makes any difference, anyway.
   To be honest though, I must admit to disliking the Mazda Miata.  (I
do
however, LOVE the BMW Z3).  I guess it just boils down to what ever
car impressed us in our youth.  And like our youth, we desparately
cling to it, caressing it, and using it as a sanctuary of simplicity
in this everchanging, complicated present day....

                          JOE IV
                          TR 250
                    WALLINGFORD, CT. USA