Re: Distributor Problem

To: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Distributor Problem
From: Nickbk@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 16:39:48 -0500

>I discovered while rebuilding the Spitfire that the plate inside the base of

>the distributor which holds the weights for the mechanical advance was
>frozen from years of sitting and non-use.  In other words, the weights
>cannot move out from centrifugal force, they are stuck.  I have dismantled
>the distributor however I cannot get the plate with the weights out because
>it is sandwiched on the shaft between the bottom of the distibutor housing
>and the flange on the driveshaft of the distributor itself.

Ross-

I'm a little confused here, not that that is unusual...

The weights should be "sandwiched" between the lower plate, which is meant to
rotate with the shaft only, and the bottom of the cam. (The cam is the part
that has the four lobes on it and opens the points). The cam has the mounting
points for the weights on the bottom of it and it should be able to rotate in
reference to the shaft as the weights swing out. In reality what has probably
happened is that the cam has rusted to the shaft. Once you remove the screw
down in the hole in the top of the cam, the cam should slide off of the
shaft. Sounds like yours won't, so you will need to use a small puller to
remove it. Be careful as the cam is softer than you would imagine, and if you
do get it to move do not turn it too far back and forth on the shaft as the
bottom of the cam is limited in movement by that plate that you see on the
bottom of the distributor. This plate is sort of "peened" onto the shaft and
you can break it loose if you try to turn the cam too hard. Once you get it
apart, a little cleaning and lube should get you back on the road to
recovery. As a test, drop the cam back onto the shaft without the weights,
and it should move back and forth very freely about 1/4" or so. When you have
it all free and lubed, put just a drop or so of oil on all the pivot points
for the weights, and just a smear of oil on the bottom of the weights where
they slide over the raised sections on the lower plate.

As they say in Merry Olde...I'm gettin Dizzy
      Nick in Nor Cal