BOUNCE triumphs: Non-member submission from ["Heuer, Paul" <pzh@aodsa.ds

To: triumphs
Subject: BOUNCE triumphs: Non-member submission from ["Heuer, Paul" <pzh@aodsa.dsto.defence.gov.au>]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 13:07:04 -0700 (MST)
     Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 09:28 +1030
     From: "Heuer, Paul" <pzh@aodsa.dsto.defence.gov.au>
     Subject: Triple Strombergs on Aussie Torana

Hi all,

Re the discussion on triple Stromberg carbs: I used to own one of the Torana
XU-1s.
The car was based on a Vauxhall Viva platform that was stretched by about 6
inches just behind the front wheels (huge turning circle, and interesting
full-lock steering).
The first model was a 186ci (3l) in-line six running 3x1.5in Strombergs
(side draft). The second model used a 202ci (3.3l) six running 3x1.75in side
draft Strombergs.

The cars were FUN. Odd driving position, TR-like suspension (kidney failure
likely),
noisy, lovely shift if the likages were tight, fast, fast, fast, and lots of
fun to throw about. They were also mildly successful in rallying. Oh, and
the sound of the three carbs sucking through three hi-flow air-cleaners was
pure music. A 308ci (5.0l) version was designed and about 3 were built
before "The Great Australian Supercar Scare" caused the Government to
suggest to the car makers that they calm down a bit, or someone else might
supply their fleet cars :-) A 5.0l engine in a Viva - someone was smoking
the good stuff at Holdens back then!

The carbs WERE a handful to balance, the Strombergs harder to look after
than equivalent SUs so many had a carb swap and many wannabe XU-1s had
afermarket SUs fitted.

If anyone wants more info, pics of the installation, etc just email me.
(I'll take payment in TR4 bits - gotta get my car somehow :-)
Cheers,
Paul.
paul.heuer@dsto.defence.gov.au