TR6 w/ Downdraft Webers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 w/ Downdraft Webers
From: Jim Haller <jhaller@nbn.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 20:13:53 -0500
I purchased a 1973 TR6 about a year ago with a blown engine.  After the
rebuild, I haven't been able to successfully tune the carbs.  It has
downdraft (2) DGV5A Webers.  During the rebuild I increased the compression
slightly and installed a special cam.  But asside from that and the Webers,
it's completely stock.  The car runs like a bandit at medium to high revs,
but is very prone to stalling and always hesitates on accelerating from a
stop.  I'm able to avoid stalling by pulling out the choke during
acceleration. This condition is noticeably worst in cold weather.  One
garage I tried said that these Webers should never have been put on the car
because of the "toilet bowl" design of the transition piece that mounts
between the carbs and the original intake manifold.  Gas tends to condense
here in cold weather.  I believe this to be true because I've noticed raw
gas in this bowl when I've disassembled the carb.  I recently changed the
thermostat from 180 to 195F and installed a throttling valve in the hot
water line running to the intake manifold to send more  hot water flow to
the transition pieces and raise their temperature.  This helped, but not
enough to solve the problem.

Does anyone out there have a TR6 running with DGV5A Webers and, if so, do
you have any suggestions for improving performance.  I have the original
Stromberg carbs and a set of TR4 carbs.  Unless I solve the current
performance problems, I'm tempted to go back to one of these options.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Jim Haller
James Haller