Throw-out Bearing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Throw-out Bearing
From: WDKLINE@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 19:35:14 -0500
A note of caution.....    I just finished pulling the tranny on my TR4 for
the second time.  The first time was for restoration of the car.  During that
process I replaced the thow-out bearing with a part from VB.  Didn't replace
the clutch or pressure plate since both were relatively new and were in good
shape.  Throw-out bearings are relatively cheap, so I figured 'Why not?'
    The result was a mechanical clacking sound whenever the clutch was
released.  Not good.   So out with the tranny again.

Compared the new throw-out bearing (made in USA) with the old (made in UK)
and found the replacement was slightly larger in diameter and had a curved
face where the fingers ride.  The old bearing had a machined flat face for
the fingers to ride on.  Evidently the fingers were running off the curved
face of the new bearing - thus the noise.  Put the old bearing back in and
the noise went away.   Maybe the VB part works with their clutches.  It
cetainly didn't work with mine.  Next time I'll replace all clutch components
or none at all.

WDK