Spitfire Bumpers - Mk 3

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Bumpers - Mk 3
From: ctschmitz@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 96 08:41:29 PST8
Encoding: 30 Text
     Hi All -

     This one has me perplexed. I'm in the midst of restoring my '70 Spit
     and have just gotten a "new" bonnet.

     Upon offering the bumper up to the bonnet, I find that the outer
     attach points of the bumper match up quite well with the bonnet, yet
     the attach points at the hinges are off by about 3/8" on both sides,
     that is, the attach points on the bumper are inboard of those on the
     hinges. The profile of the bumper matches the profile of the bonnet
     pretty well.

     If I were to reform the bumper such that the hinge point attachments
     were to line up I would be straightening the bumper quite a bit, and
     the ends of the bumper would be splayed out and wouldn't come anywhere
     near the bonnet, and the bumper would no longer have the same profile
     as the end of the bonnet. Sort of like the shark had started to
     swallow the bone!

     Am I missing something here? Are there some bits of hardware that I
     don't have? The bumper has been repaired in the past, but seems in
     fair shape, as are the overriders. It doesn't appear that the attach
     points were moved during that previous repair.

     Thanks,

     Tom

     1970 Spitfire, Cosmetically Challenged (the car!)
     ctschmitz@ccgate.hac.com