Re: I'm back! (long)

To: triumphs@autox.TEAM.net
Subject: Re: I'm back! (long)
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 20:27:46 -0500
Hey Dan, glad to hear that your quick trip went OK !  You wrote:

 >Hello fellow scions;
 >   Just got back from the land of perma-frost. It was a fast and
 >frenzied trip! Made it to Findlay, Ohio from Orange, Tx in a little
                            ^^^^^^^
This is less than 20 miles NE of Pandora - did you stop in at TS Imports
while you were nearby ?  Amazing LBC salvage yard / parts / racing
supplies etc.  TS is usually tied up on the phone, though, I don't
think he has very many `walk-ins'.

 >less than 19 hours! Real uneventful trip, so far. Then, after getting
 >there, came a freezing rain! It has been about 15 years since driving
                ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^
Were the salt trucks out ?  Didja get your Blue Streak all covered with
dried white dust after a few miles  ?
   Have you pressure-washed the underside yet ?

 >on solid water, I was glad that I was already there. Spent about two
 >days there and then we were off to the great white north! We pulled
 >into a little town in Mich called Lapeer. (About 20 miles east of
 >Flint and 75 miles north of Windsor, Ont. Canada) Spent two days
 >there  eating everything in sight. Drank too much
 >apple cider. (hadn't drank any for the afore mentioned 15 years.)
 >Felt like Dumber in the movie Dumb and Dumber! (Thank goodness for
 >Immodium A-D!)
 >   But I digress. 4 inches of snow in Mich while I was there. Back to
 >Ohio. Thought about Tom Tweed as I flew past Dayton. Did you see the

Aw, shucks, thank ya kindly...I must have blinked, though, didn't see ya.

 >blue bomba, Tom? Got to Tenn just as the worst storm in recorded
 >history got there. As we were traveling along I-40 west past the
 >Tennessee river, a Herald passed us by. Could hardly believe my eyes.
                     ^^^^^^
What drive-train, I wonder ?   948 4-spd ??  with ground-effects ???

 >Had to catch up with it to make sure one of those little bombs really
 >passed me up. VERY FEW vehicles pass me on the freeway! Sure enough,
 >it was one of the little beasties. It only took 10 miles of all out
 >pedal to the metal driving to catch it.
 >   Finally, we made it into Ms. Got into Jackson hotter than a pepper
 >sprout...er... (wrong story) On the north side of Jackson, Ms., on
 >the south-bound side of I-55, there is a dealership that apparently
 >specializes in Triumphs! Remarkable! You must remember that I have
                 ^^^^^^^^
Yes !  Found by some 6-packers recently, too !

 >now been driving for 15 hours straight! The mind must be playing
 >tricks on me! Asked the wife. She said that there were LBCs in that
 >thar building. There were 2 TR-6, 1 spit and couldn't make out what
 >the other ones were.
 >   All in all, it was a real enjoyable trip. The lbc's made it all
 >the better. Glad to be back in town.
 >Dan

Thanks for the travelogue; no mechanical problems ?  Not that I'd expect
any.  New LBC owners, take note!  These cars are not inherently fragile.
Yes, Dan is a real mechanic with years of experience -- but this should
show that with some preventive maintenance and a thorough checkout, you
can hit the road with reasonable confidence, considering the age of our
Objects of Affection.  Sometimes you can even push the margins and still
get lucky - or at least get home.  I drove a TR that still had the orig-
inal 28-yr-old barber-striped hoses on it from Dayton to Indy, around the
Speedway track, and back home -- with Wifey along !  (and a tow bar in
the trunk, just in case !!  plus the usual duct tape, baling wire, tools,
RTV rubber, good spare & jack, etc etc.).

Be prepared, like the Boy Scouts tell you to be, and Hit the Trail.

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio