Re: TR6 axle shafts

To: ccfarm@tranquility.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 axle shafts
From: Hctcbob@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 07:47:30 -0500
In a message dated 96-12-03 23:12:26 EST, ccfarm@tranquility.net (Chad and
Christy Stretz) writes:

<< My next question for all you IRS TR gurus regards axle shafts.  My quest
 to COMPLETELY eliminate all possible clunking is never-ending.  My
 shafts have a tiny bit of play at the splines.  Are they garbage, or is
 this normal?  Possibly to allow a little room for grease??   Maybe this
 is wishful thinking.  PLEASE tell me I don't have to spend another $169
 PER SIDE!!!  aaarrrgggghhhh!!!! >>

I've had good luck quieting down slightly sloppy sliding shafts with
synthetic axle grease/gumbo.  It's the real sticky stuff, a neat irredescent
blue color, waterproof etc, not the real smooth creamy type.  Many synthetic
brands are available.  Mine was given to me by a local club member/heavy
equipment mechanic, and I have not seen that brand (long since smeared away)
on a shelf anywhere. I'll soon be looking for more as I'm down to the end of
the tube.  I think Redline and Amsoil make similar products.  Works great in
tie rod ends and ball joints too.

Bob in Austin