TR 6 REAR AXLES

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR 6 REAR AXLES
From: john_mcmaster@dpa.act.gov.au
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 96 17:09:49 EST
Encoding: 36 Text

     Following the thread on TR6 rear axles, there are 2 other possible
     fixes here in Australia.  They both involve fitting modified Datsun
     180B or 200B axles.  These axles are superior in that they have balls
     in a groove rather than splines and don't suffer form spline lock.  I
     have never heard of any problems with these axles, even from cars with
     in excess of 200,000+ miles!

     Both 'fixes' require the Datsun axle to be shortened (they don't need
     to be for the Triumph saloons or Stags!!). This must be done by a
     competent machinist or they can be purchased (address follows).  The
     first solution uses the shortened axles with a split universal joint -
     one side of the spider fits the Triumph caps while the other side fits
     the Datsun caps.  The spider itself is machined to accept the
     different types of caps.  The other solution, which I think is
     superior, is to have the Triumph yokes machined to accept the Datsun
     universals.  This is more expensive and could involve rebuilding the
     rear hub assembly as the stub axle must be removed for machining.  I
     have just installed these in my '71 TR6 without any difficulty,  I
     haven't driven it hard enough yet to report on the full performance,
     but have not felt any clunks or twitches when changing gears after
     hard cornering!

     The shortened axles are available from Greg Tunstall Mechanical, Unit
     3, 255 South Street, Cleveland, QLD, Australia. Phone (07) 3821 0622.
     These guys also do the yoke and axle machining.  Cost is approx $A700.
     British Auto Care will supply modified Universals (TriDat) for about
     $A70 each and can also supply the shortened axles.  They are at Unit 1
     51 McCarthy Road, Salisbury, QLD, Australia.  Phone (07) 3274 2828.
     They can be contacted at Website http://www.gil.com.au/comm/bac.html

     Hope this helps and provides a little assistance for fellow
     enthusiasts.

     John Mc Master
     '71 TR6  -  'Fast is First'