TR6 Door Gaps

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Door Gaps
From: dynamic@pbgi.com (Pete & Aprille Chadwell)
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 09:55:24 -0800
Hello again:

Another question for the list.  Years ago I noticed that the door gaps at
the rearward edge of the doors on my TR6 were uneven.  At the top, the gap
measures a half-inch or slightly more, and at the bottom it is one
eigth-inch or less.  Now for the interesting part.  I stuck my finger into
the gap at the top, and had a friend lift up on the rear bumper, and I felt
my finger being squeezed (slightly... nothing painful!!) as the body/frame
flexed.  Now, it doesn't take much lifting at the bumper to show this
movement, just a gentle upward pull does the trick.  I have spent plenty of
hours underneath this car, and have never found anything wrong with the
frame... even the diff mountings were in good shape!  So, I've come to the
conclusion that it is merely due to deteriorated body mountings, and that
the chassis itself is not actually flexing that much, or at all during this
test.  Does this sound plausible to anyone else?

Thank you again!

Pete Chadwell

1973 TR6