Re: oil coolers & rocker feed

To: ak627@dayton.wright.edu
Subject: Re: oil coolers & rocker feed
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 12:46:21 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Tom,

I'm just going to throw in my .02 worth regarding the external oil feed
circuit that's getting so much attention.

The purpose of this external feed line is to get oil to the rocker shaft
before it would be available via the normal start up circuit. When the engine
is shut off, oil drains back down to the sump. Every time the car is started,
the rocker shaft is the last moving surface to receive lubrication, with the
#1 rocker being the very last thing every time. I don't care how much
pressure you have, that assembly is always the last to receive fresh
lubrication. The main purpose of the external oiler is to provide a quicker,
more direct route for the oil to follow to the rocker shaft--as opposed to
being dead last, every start-up. Over the life of the engine, that's got to
save some wear and tear on some rather expensive components. My next engine
rebuild (from one of my parts cars) will involve replacing a badly scored
rocker shaft and rocker arms (maybe rebush). I put an external oiler on my
last rebuild and I'm planning to make one up for the next rebuild.

Like I said, just an opinion,
Charlie B.