RE:Italian Job and others

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:Italian Job and others
From: c394829@is6.mdc.com (Kurt Oblinger)
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 96 9:38:40 PST
To chime a little late on the Italian Job video. Being
a Mini owner I've had a copy of this for a while. FYI,
the Muira that was bulldozed was real! It was supposedly
cheaper to trash a real one than to cobble up a fake!
The E-Types were also real. The drophead Aston was
dinged by the bulldozer but it was a stand-in that was
dumped over the cliff, a Lancia I think. The Aston exists
in the UK.Awhole bunch o' Mini's were trashed in making
the film. Lead stunt driver was Remie Julien who replicated
many of the stunts for FIAT commercials. Last bit of
useless trivia, the bus/transporter shown in the film
was later used as a transporter by Tony Dean, who raced
Porsches in the old CanAm in the late 60's early 70's.

Although not TR related, two other neat old car films
I can recommend are "Genevieve" from about 1950 with
Kenneth Moore. The two protaganists  proceed to embark
in a little personal competition while taking part in the
London to Brighton vintage car run. The cars involved
are both 1903 vintage. This film was a hit in its day in
the UK and is credited with sparking a lot of popular
interest in vintage cars.

Another fun film is "The Fast Lady", also UK from the
early sixties. The hero is a fellow who is a bit of a
fop who dislikes cars. He is smitten with a lovely
young thing and is persuaded to buy a car by a sleazy
car salesman to impress her. The car is a Red Label
Bentley Tourer. The best part is the dream sequence
where our hero dusts the field in the British Grand
Prix in his Bentley, cameos by Graham Hill and others.

I have copies of these from friends who taped them off
cable. Don't know if they are commercially available
but keep an eye on the cable listings and they are
bound to come around again eventually.

Cheers,

Kurt Oblinger
c394829@is6.mdc.com

4 TR's and a real Mini-Cooper "S" although with the
puny 970cc engine.