Spitfire Mk4 window problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Mk4 window problem
From: "Patrick Fitzhorn" <patrick@engr.colostate.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 18:20:32 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <patrick@[129.82.109.16]>
Just rebuilt the doors on our 1971 Spitfire Mk. 4, and now we have
an interesting problem.  The windows roll nearly straight up.
Unfortunately, the window channels on the windshield surrounds,
and the hardtop and convertible top are canted toward the inside.
Thus there is a nice 1.5" gap at the top of the driver's side, and a 1"
gap for the passenger.

I've shimmed out the bottom of the window rails to try
to "point" the windows inside, but this isn't having much of an
effect.  I've also checked the upper mounting points for the window
rails and made sure they were as tight inboard as possible, to
"pull" them inboard.   The Haynes workshop manual says
not too much about this problem.  Have I missed something obvious
here?  Should I continue shimming the bottoms?

Thanks for the help - it's no fun having it snow almost as much on
the inside as the outside - when the windows are up!

Patrick Fitzhorn
Fort Collins, CO
1971 Triumph Spitfire Mk. 4 in "amazing" condition.
   (I'm amazed it actually runs!)