Re: Nylatron bushings/axles/springs TR-6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Nylatron bushings/axles/springs TR-6
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 17:57:14 -0500
Hello Gary, you wrote :

 >        This is my first posting and I hope I have sent it to the right
 >place!  I am rebuilding the rear suspension bushings on my 69 TR-6 and have
 >read about one complaint of noisy nylatron bushings, to the extent he
 >changed them to something else. Has anyone else had this trouble?
 >        An interesting observation is that I have no rubber gaiters on my
 >axle shafts and no protectors covering the inside axle u-joint.  I don't
 >think my axles have been touched by prior owners, although I suppose they
 >could have.

Yes, I think it's safe to say that a PO has been there, and a DPO at that,
since the little `accordion' gaiters are there to keep dirt and water out
of the splined part of your half-shafts !  Without the gaiters, the grease
on the splines would eventually get contaminated and turn into a sort of
sludgy grinding compound, bad news indeed.  The inner U-joint protectors
are also useful for keeping water from splashing onto the bearings there.

 >        Also I remain confused about stiffer springs for the rear.  Should I
 >go with Moss or TRF?  I do not want my car to ride too high and I want
 >stiffer springs than stock.
 >
 >                                        Gary Nafziger
 >                                        Box 25
 >                                        Wellman, Iowa  52356
 >                                        naffy@netins.net

Oops, time demon on the Free-Net, back with spring info later
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio