Re: Spit - IT LIVES!

To: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Subject: Re: Spit - IT LIVES!
From: Tom Di Iulio <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 20:41:02 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Vincenti, Ross wrote:

> It lives!!  My 64 Mk I Spitfire lives!  This past weekend we put some gas in
> the tank, static adjusted the timing, hook up a freshly charged battery and
> fired that bad boy up and by God does it sound wonderful.  That's the good
> news.
>
> Bad news - the carbs were fine when I removed them, but in the process of
> cleaning them and re-installing apparently the rear SU developed a fairly
> significant leak from the top edges of the float bowl.  So, I'll probably
> have to remove and do a partial rebuild over the X-mas holiday season (sure,
> like I expect to find the time?).  Also, have a small leak from water pump -
> probably needs a little tightening or some better gasket sealing.  Not too
> bad though.
>
> Question - Has anyone (well, of course someone on this list has, that's why
> we are all members) rebuilt twin SU HS2 carbs lately?  Any tips?  I've
> rebuilt your basic American Holly and Rochester carbs, and once dismantled
> (note, I did not say "rebuilt") a Zenith carb on an early Bug.  So, is an SU
> that much different from a big, hairy chested, dual stage, 650 CFM, 4 barrel
> Rochester QuadraJet with mechanical secondaries?  Am I about to be
> embarrassed and humbled by a little tiny side draft carb with funky
> Whitworth fasteners (of which I do not one a single wrench)?  Should I
> simply package them up and send to Apple Hydraulics in NY for a full rebuild
> at $$$$$$$ prices?  Is this a task best left to mad dogs and Englishmen?
>
> BTW, Ugh!  Forgot how smelly a freshly painted motor is until all the new
> coating burns off.  My wife thought it was on fire at first.  It was quite
> amusing when she backed away from the car thinking it was about to burst
> into flames.  Cheers all.
>
> Ross D. Vincenti
> 64 Spitfire 4

     OUTSTANDING!! GOOD JOB!! NOW FOR THE IMPORTANT PART, HAVE YOU NAMED
HER YET? AND WHILE I'M AT IT, HAVE ANY OF YOU NAMED YOUR "BEASTS OF
BURDEN"? WITH ALL THE TIME AND EMOTION WE INVEST IN THESE CARS, THE
LEAST WE CAN DO IS NAME THESE EVIL CREATURES....LET'S HEAR SOME OF THEM.

TOM'S  TR "DEMON SEED" 6