Official definition of "LBC"

To: john gillis <jgillis@tcd.ie>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Official definition of "LBC"
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 05:58:31 -0800
Definition:  LBC stand for Little British Car if you are discussing a
little British car or Large British Car if you're discussing a large
British car such as a Jag, Bently or Land Rover. It makes it easier to
discuss the overall class of British cars.

Some history:  The various marque groups are spinoffs from the original
British car mail group.  This was done for people who wanted to cut their
email volume down to just the traffic relavent to their marque.

LBC was the first acronem coined in a young British Car mail group.  I
don't remember the date, but I think the acronem was coined in late 1986.
It was done to refer to British cars in general rather than naming off a
jillion marques and offending the people whose cars you left off.

If memory serves, LBC was coined before the official name of the group,
"Scions of Lucas" (SOL) was decided upon (There is a story behind that
choice too).

Comment:  It does seem strange to me that some people refer to themselves
as LBCs.  I keep wondering if that means that they have frequent nervous
system twitches and constanly leak on the pavement.

TeriAnn

twakeman@scruznet.com