Re: MAD SPIT !

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MAD SPIT !
From: esc@firstnethou.com (esc)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 15:25:42 -0600
>I was trwaling around the net avoiding work & found this & well was somewhat
>shocked - the maddest Spit I've seen yet...
>
>try http://www.westpro.com/Beast.html for a 5.7 V8 350hp Mk II (?) Spitfire..
>Anyone know of any mad engine conversions ?? I guess the British
>equivalent would be to fit a Cosworth engine... might be worth a try..
>
>Rich

Well Rich,
I am currently working on a similar conversion.  But mine is a little more
drastic....
It includes a new frame from the firewall back, wheel tubs, roll cage,
wheelie bars, 5 point harnesses, and the engine that made 550 HP in my
Camaro.  It has a 4000 to 8000 RPM powerband.
(There was something really satifying about being able to dust every 600cc
sportbike I ever raced 0-60 with the Camaro.  Unfortunately emision control
regulations have taken their toll, and my 357 needs a new home.)

Lets see... the Camaro ran low 11's with 3200 pounds (with a top speed of
over 180MPH-not in the 1/4).  I estimate the spit will be 1800-2000 pounds
when completed.  I think that the Spit will have a more free flowing exhaust
also.

Does that sound mad?
I have been thinking about a V8 spit for about 10 years, but only recently
got started on it.

But I am disapointed that some one beat me to the punch.  I thought that I
was the only one who wanted a Spitfire that would pull wheelies.  Anyway I
must admit that The Beast seems to be a very well built car.  The
discussions that I have had with it's owner have been very helpfull since I
am still in the early stages of this project.  He seems like a nice guy.

Anyway, soon I will have some pictures of the progress on my web page.  I
will post an address when they afre ready.

Eric
esc@firstnethou.com
If god hadn't intended it to have a V8,
he wouldn't have put me here.