Re: MAD SPIT !

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MAD SPIT !
From: James Sudduth <james.sudduth@autodesk.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 15:23:39 -0800
At 03:25 PM 12/12/96 -0600, you wrote:
>>I was trwaling around the net avoiding work & found this & well was somewhat
>>shocked - the maddest Spit I've seen yet...
>>
>>try http://www.westpro.com/Beast.html for a 5.7 V8 350hp Mk II (?) Spitfire..
>>Anyone know of any mad engine conversions ?? I guess the British
>>equivalent would be to fit a Cosworth engine... might be worth a try..
>>
>>Rich
>
>Well Rich,
>I am currently working on a similar conversion.  But mine is a little more
>drastic....
>It includes a new frame from the firewall back, wheel tubs, roll cage,
>wheelie bars, 5 point harnesses, and the engine that made 550 HP in my
>Camaro.  It has a 4000 to 8000 RPM powerband.
>(There was something really satifying about being able to dust every 600cc
>sportbike I ever raced 0-60 with the Camaro.  Unfortunately emision control
>regulations have taken their toll, and my 357 needs a new home.)
>
>Lets see... the Camaro ran low 11's with 3200 pounds (with a top speed of
>over 180MPH-not in the 1/4).  I estimate the spit will be 1800-2000 pounds
>when completed.  I think that the Spit will have a more free flowing exhaust
>also.
>
>Does that sound mad?
>I have been thinking about a V8 spit for about 10 years, but only recently
>got started on it.
>
>But I am disapointed that some one beat me to the punch.  I thought that I
>was the only one who wanted a Spitfire that would pull wheelies.  Anyway I
>must admit that The Beast seems to be a very well built car.  The
>discussions that I have had with it's owner have been very helpfull since I
>am still in the early stages of this project.  He seems like a nice guy.
>
>Anyway, soon I will have some pictures of the progress on my web page.  I
>will post an address when they afre ready.
>

>Eric
>esc@firstnethou.com
>If god hadn't intended it to have a V8,
>he wouldn't have put me here.
>'69 Spitfire
>'82(sort of) Camaro
>'73 Corvette

Hi Eric:

Have you started on getting your pilot's license? You might need one to
drive what you've proposed above :-)

I saw one of these beasties at the Palo Alto, (California) British Car show
two years ago. It had a full Corvette powertrain in it (don't remember the
engine size but it was BIG).

The guy's main problem with it was the Spit was so light that when he popped
the clutch it would just sit and spin the tires, which were big slick-type
things, so be warned. He also expressed a recurring nightmare where he pops
the clutch, it spins the tires then suddenly they find traction, the thing
flips over on its back but in typical nightmare fashion it keeps going
somehow, screaming and skidding down the road on its roll bar, the
accelerator stuck and no steering, headed straight towards a speeding semi....

But anyway, can you imagine the passing power between, say, 40 and 100 MPH?
Give you whiplash, I'd bet!

Actually, I made up the nightmare thing. But it could happen. Sure.

Jim Sudduth
jims@autodesk.com
'74 TR6 CF20076U
Berkeley, California USA