Re: Volvo trany to replace TR4A trany

To: Rod Knox <rknox@triton.horizon.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Volvo trany to replace TR4A trany
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 14:33:10 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Rod Knox wrote:

> I was told many years ago that a volvo transmission would fit a TR4A with
> very little trouble because they were made at the same factory. Or something
> like that. Something about redrilling a couple of holes in the
> bell housing....

Well, from what I know of Volvo transmissions, I don't think it's quite
that easy. The starter is in about the same general area. Beyond that, I
can't picture any particular similarity, other than the fact that both
Volvo and Triumph did use Laycock de Normanville overdrive units.

One point that comes immediately to mind, though, is that most Volvo
transmissions, at least up to the early 1970s, had NO remote shifter;
rather, a loooonnng shift lever came up out of the tranny. Contrast that
with Triumph, whose last such "direct" shift lever was, I believe, in the
Triumph 10 sedan and estate wagon. How one might adapt a decent shifter
on an older Volvo gearbox for use in a Triumph is beyond my engineering
capacity.

I've only had a couple of Volvo transmissions out of cars, but I also
DON'T remember the rear mounts being particularly similar. Of course,
the method of fastening the bellhousing to the gearbox itself differs.
IMS, Volvo gearboxes bolted to the bellhousing from the gearbox side.
Many larger Triumph transmissions had integral bellhousings, and the
Herald-based cars most often had bolts inside the bellhousing to fasten
it to the gearbox.

Having had any number of both Triumphs and Volvos, I'm not sure I'd rate
either as more durable than the other. Volvo transmissions might last a
bit longer simply because the cars are less likely to arouse the boy
racer personality; OTOH those long Volvo shift levers provide a lot of
leverage, useful for bashing worn gears and bits around inside the box!
Can't say, though, as I've ever broken either kind of transmission yet! ;-)

My $.02....

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *