BOUNCE triumphs: Non-member submission from [Derek Palmer <DPALMER@SJPO1

To: triumphs
Subject: BOUNCE triumphs: Non-member submission from [Derek Palmer <DPALMER@SJPO1.Altera.COM>]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 22:21:28 -0700 (MST)

     From: Derek Palmer <DPALMER@SJPO1.Altera.COM>
     Subject: 1965 Triumph TR4A IRS
     Date: Fri, 13 Dec 96 15:24:00 PST

I have been a subsriber to this group for a while,
but have not had the need to post any replies, until
now.  I am planning on taking a look at an old 65
TR4A over the holiday.  I have lots of experience with
a LGC I restored over the last few years, so I think I
can spot rust.  However, a TR4A is new ground for me.
I have noticed this group is full of advice, so I'd
like to ask for some.
The car has about 100K on the original engine.
Head redone about 20K ago.  Original Green paint (pitted, chipped).
Clutch and brake cylinders leak.  Driven about 300 mile in
the last five years.
I'd like to know what your opinions are for the price
of such a vehicle (2-4K?).  Rust is said to be minimal, we'll see.
I expect some rust.  I am concerned as to
where the expensive rust points are on this model.
How hard (expensive) is it to get new panels.  Are
there many good aftermarket replacements. I assume the rust
in the center box is a killer? It is on the old 356.
Are there any good WWW pages or books that you can recommend.
What are resonable costs for a tranny and engine rebuild?
I'v heard the bottom end of these babies goes forever.  True?
As an engineer, I pay attention to details. The wife calls it
anal retentive, but what does she know.  I'd like as many
data points as you are willing to share.  Bury me in email!

Thanks in advance,
Happy Holidays
Derek Palmer