Re: Fitting Cam Bearings to a 1500 spitfire engin

To: pujalte@stic.net
Subject: Re: Fitting Cam Bearings to a 1500 spitfire engin
From: Tony Robinson <TonyR@dzn.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 20:46:06 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
pujalte@stic.net wrote:

> Hello Fellow Enthusiasts,
>   I hope that you can help me.
>   I own a '78 Midget (I know, I know, SORRY) with a 1500 Spitfire engine
> in it. The cam welded itself to the block less than 200 miles after
> rebuild. My rebuilder will not modify the engine to accept cam bearings
> under warranty until he "knows what happened" and is assured that the cam
> bearings will fix it. Would you Please help me? I haven't seen my car in
> a month. No one seems to know what the deal is with these engines here in
> San Antonio. Thanks in advance!

  Vince,
 I think I would take a serious look at the oil pump and or/oil
passages.
 If there is a blocked passage, cam bearings will be of absolutely no
help until
any blochage is removed. Same would hold true for the oil pump.
 I would be more inclined to look for a blocked passage if the seizure
is only on one
of the bearing surfaces.
Someplace to starte.
Regards,