Re: Spitfire wiring<9612160433.AA18124@nj2.n-jcenter.com>

To: dano <dano@n-jcenter.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire wiring<9612160433.AA18124@nj2.n-jcenter.com>
From: Richard Jackson <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 12:14:31 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
>Greetings all,

>     After selling 4 cars (2 triumphs) in the last month I have recently
>purchased a 77 spitfire for weekend use.  I can't get the horn to work, but
>here is what I have tried.

>     Verified that the horn actually worked by hot-wiring from the battery.
>     Did a continuity check on all wires.
>     Checked switch activation.
>     Cleaned all connectors, grounds, checked fuses, etc.
>     Disconnected the horn wires and ran an ohm meter across them and
>                  verified that 12 volts is showing upon switch activation.
>     Now here is my conundrum.  When any load is applied (horn, light switch)
>         etc. across the wires as I am checking the voltage, the voltage drops
>         to zero on the meter when the contact is made.  I don't get it.

>          Any Ideas?

My Spit failed it's MOT test on a knackered horn, all it was was the coupling
at the bottom of the column hadn't got an earth wire running through it, I just
had to connect a piece of wire 'over' the coupling using the pinch bolts and
voila - a horn....well, the girlfriend was impressed anyway!!! :-)

Before, the horn would work but only with the ignition off, and then I was
getting a small shock off the steering wheel spokes as it was somehow using
these(and me!!) as an earth.

Good Luck

Rich
England.