Tires vs. wheel width

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tires vs. wheel width
From: jmerone@vtetv.org (Joe Merone)
Date: 16 Dec 1996 14:20:23 GMT
Fellow SOL'ers

It's finally time to buy the tires.  I've long since decided that the only
place that can provide my TR6 with a wider modern radial AND that wonderfully
unique redline at a competitive price is a company out of Kansas called
Antique Automotive Accessories.  They do remolds of Michelin and Goodyear
tires that look pretty good.

I'd planned on buying them before the car hit the road once again in the
spring but AAA is currently running a sale through the end of December so, as
they say, it's time to %@*& or get off the pot!  The decision remains
however... to go with 205/70 or 215/65?

I've done the math and know that those sizes are the ones that best match up
with the old 185's and will be fine with regards to clearance under the wheel
well, speedo accuracy, etc.    I feel that the 205's are probably the smarter
choice but I'm curiously drawn to that wider profile of the 215's.  My
question is... who out there is running 215's on stock wheels?  Are they TOO
WIDE for those 5 1/2" rims?  Any reply and input would be appreciated as the
order is going in next week... finally.

Joe Merone
'74 TR6
CF 18928