Re: Questions about Installing TR-3 ragtop

To: John Cowan <jfcowan@sj.zNET.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Questions about Installing TR-3 ragtop
From: johnhaynes@som-uky.campus.mci.net (John Haynes)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 11:37:03 -0500 (EST)
At 12:26 PM 12/14/96 -0800, John Cowan wrote:
>    I bought a ragtop for my TR-3 from TRF, not realizing that it required
>installation; i.e., I got the top plus a bag full of dot to dot and Tenax
>fasteners (I know; I know, this is obvious in retrospect; chalk it up to
>brain overload).  My mechanic's published recommendation for installation
>time is six hours, which is about one and a half times the cost of the top.
>Does this seem accurate?  If so, this makes installing it myself seem like a
>better proposition.
>    Anyone have experience installing a Robbins top on a TR-3?  How much
>effort was required? What kind of tools would I need?  Did the job turn out ok?
>    Thanks.
>John Cowan
>
>* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>Visit - In Their Own Words Website - an on-line non-commercial publishing
>experiment, plus articles, article outlines and Left/Progressive links at:
>           http://sj.znet.com/~jfcowan/

  Hello John
     Convertable top instalation is a dificult and flustrating job. If  you
are good with your hands you can do as well as the professionals. You
likely will not get a perfect job [creases, wrinkles ]but at least you will
not be paying someone else for them. Each LBC model top goes on differently
so each is a new job for the professional.
    The most important consideration is to do the job on a warm day in the
sunlight so that the fabric will stretch.  You need a 1/4" and a 3/8" hole
punch, a pen knife or razor blade that will cut 1/8" slits for the lift dot
fastener prongs.
    Find the center of the front edge, and rear edge and mark these lines.
Find the center of the windshield and mark. Find the center of the rear deck
and mark. Erect the top bows. Place the top on the car and align the marks
in the rear. Affix the two center lift the dot fasteners slightly ahead of
the edging  seam, using the 1/4" hole punch . The flater part of the lift
dot going up. Go to the front and center the top. Pull the top tight and
press it down onto the Tenax prongs so as to mark. Use the 3/8 " punch to
cut the holes ,and affix the fastner. You can now check  if the top is going
to fit. Now begin working from back to front , placing the two in the back,
four in the front , stretching  to the front and at a diagonial, then the
two in back and the final four in front. Then lastly the 6 lift a dot below
the side windows , working from side to side pulling down and to the front
begining with the two closest to the rear glass. >
    Sam Haynes TR3 Original Owner