Re: Questions about Installing TR-3 ragtop

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Questions about Installing TR-3 ragtop
From: "Paul g. Wiegman" <pwiegman@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 08:47:56 -0500
John Cowan wrote:

>     I bought a ragtop for my TR-3 from TRF, not realizing that it required
> installation; i.e., I got the top plus a bag full of dot to dot and Tenax
> fasteners (I know; I know, this is obvious in retrospect; chalk it up to
> brain overload).  My mechanic's published recommendation for installation
> time is six hours, which is about one and a half times the cost of the top.
> Does this seem accurate?  If so, this makes installing it myself seem like a
> better proposition.
>     Anyone have experience installing a Robbins top on a TR-3?  How much
> effort was required? What kind of tools would I need?  Did the job turn out
>ok?
>     Thanks.
> John Cowan

I've installed two tops on a TR4 and a TR3.  The 4 I did myself, and it
always looked like it.  There are now silver bullet answers here, just
experience.  I don't know if a mechanic is the person to go to, but
rather a shop just for ragtops, seat kits, etc.  These places have the
right tools of which there are several that are very valuable and are
necessary to get the job done right.

After my experience with the 4, I had a speciality shop do the TR3.  I
don't know where you are located, but the shop is near TRF, and has done
many TR's.  The owner is Larry Learn, and TRF can give you his phone.
He does the side curtains for TRF.

I think the job was around $160.

In short, get a shop to do the work.

Paul g. Wiegman