Re: TR3A Wiring harness

To: a3graham@mc1adm.uwaterloo.ca
Subject: Re: TR3A Wiring harness
From: mwjordan@juno.com (M. W. Jordan, Jr.)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 01:19:36 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I recently replaced the wiring harness on a TR3A with the braided harness
from Moss.  It fit pretty well and most of the connections seemed to be
at the right places.  Took about two weeks (I work evenings for about two
hours at a time) and had no major complaints or problems.  The tricky
part seemed to be getting the instrument panel just right; the fuel gauge
needed about two evenings to sort out, and the turn signals took a long
time, probably because I rewired the minor harnesses myself and couldn't
get black wires vs red wires vs blue wires sorted out too well.  Also
went through three turn flasher units before I figured the proper wiring
out.  In the end, the fix was a variable load turn flasher from wal*mart
for $2.79 -- but it took about four evenings to get it right.

Of course, the fact the voltage regulator was bad adnd the generator was
bad didn't help matters, but now every thing works fine.

In sum, the new harness is worth the investment and the time to install.

M. W. Jordan, Jr.
Greenwood, Mississippi
59 TR3A, misc Norton motorcycles, misc Triumph motorcycles, misc Ducati
single motorcycles, misc BSA motorcycles