Re: TR4 Seats

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Seats
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 00:18:08 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, len drake wrote:

> Hi - I was wondering if someone on the list could determine
> what was the correct seat for my TR4.  It is serial # CT12757L
> and is a surrey top car.  It is registered as a 1963.
>
> The seats in the car now are the square back (second series?)
> TR4 seats, but they have been replaced by the previous owner.
> As I understand it, the hardtop (surrey) cars did not always
> have the same seats as a regular roadster that went down the
> line beside it.  Is there a definitive answer?

The factory TR4 Spare Parts Catalogue records changes in seats according
to body numbers, not commission numbers. Unfortunately there is no
reliable corelation between body numbers and commission numbers.  The body
numbers reflect the order in which the body shells were built, while the
commission numbers reflect (more or less) the order in which completed
cars rolled off the assenbly line.  My TR4 is commission number CT3154LO,
body number 1845CT, for example - the 3154th TR4, fitted with the 1845th
TR4 body.

There were numerous detail changes in the seats, but the change from the
early type (as from the TR3A) with removable seat cushion to the late type
(similar to TR5/250/6) with rubber diaphragm occurred at body number
20695CT.  That makes it a fairly safe bet that your TR4 left the factory
with the early style seats, but you can confirm that by checking the body
number plate on the right-hand side of the firewall.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us