Re: brake calipers

To: mmason@lindenwood.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake calipers
From: "Jonathan Miles" <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 13:59:23
> seem to remember reading some place that one should NOT separate the two
> halves of the calipers under any conditions.  I think, though, that this
> had to do with the MGB.
>
> It would be a lot easier to clean up the bores if the two halves were
> apart, since neither my fingers nor the wire brush fit well into those
> right angle holes.  Does anyone know any reason why I should not separate
> the two halves of the calipers in order to clean and prepare them?
>
> Just once I would like to know the answer BEFORE I screw something up. :-)
>

> Peace, and may Santa remember that you have an LBC and take PITY!!
>
> Michael In St. Louis
>     73 life-size, do-it-yourself, 3D puzzle of a TR6

There was a thread on this a while ago, you could look it up on the
archives.  The bottom line is that all workshop manuals and the
manufacturer tell you that you must never split the caliper.  However
these people must cover themselves against litigation should
something go wrong.  So long as you're competent it's an easy job to
do (take out the bolts and don't lose the O-ring).  I've done a few
spitfire calipers now with no problems whatsoever and it does make
the rest of the reconditioning so much easier.  I say go for it.

Jonathan

'77 Spitfire 1500
'82 Ford Festa

*************************************