Re: brake calipers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake calipers
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 15:46:24 -0500
Hi Group,

In a message dated 96-12-18 23:09:59

<< I am in the process of rebuilding the brakes on the TR6 I bought this
 >summer.  The pistons and calipers look to be in good enough shape to
 >rebuild, but there is a lot of rust on the outer edges of the bores.
 >seem to remember reading some place that one should NOT separate the
 >two
 >halves of the calipers under any conditions. >>
There are square-cut "O" rings between the two halves that are no longer
available and don't come included with any rebuild kit.  I've got some extra
calipers off a Spit that, hopefully, I'll be able to crack open this winter
and try to rebuild with the standard round profile style "O" rings. I've
already purchased the same size Ethylene Propylene parts.

Anyway, to my understanding, that's the reason for not separating the halves.
If you tear the square-cut "O" ring, you may have reduced the caliper to
scrap metal.

Charlie B.