Re: Smog II in Cal, again. Sigh. (Good news!)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, ingate@shiseis.com
Subject: Re: Smog II in Cal, again. Sigh. (Good news!)
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 10:52:54 -0800
> All,
>       Seems Quentin Kopp (a Sacramento weenie) is behind a measure
> to return California smog laws to the way they were originally written,
> with a rolling 25-year window.  The first law took effect in 1981, which is
> why cars 1966 and newer are tested.  The next year it was supposed to be
> 1967, then 1968, and so on, but bureaucrats being what they are, the 1966
> date stuck.  He's going to try to change it in '97, effective in '98, meaning
> that only cars '73 and newer would be tested, and then within two years, we'd
> (TR6 and older) never have to worry again.
>
>       Anyone heard this?
>
>       Shane Ingate in San Diego

Good morning,

Yes I have heard this. Quentin is a San Francisco plitico (weenie) who I find
myself agreeing with on an alrmingly large number of issues. I also agree this
will address smog in a more rational fashion even though there are a substantial
number of cars of the old variety. It seems the number driven regularly is low
and as such not a significant contributor to the smog problem. Let's hope he
is successful.

Cheers,

Ken Boetzer