Re: spitfire rebuild/mods

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: spitfire rebuild/mods
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 07:27:39 -0800
Martin S writes (quotes?) - <  snip  >
"The end-of-the-line 1493cc powerplant was essentially a stroked big-bearing
1296 unit. ...  Hard driving will wear the crankshaft bearings.  Unless you
replace the shells every 30-40,000 miles, the crank will be lucky to last
another 30,000.'
***************************
Yes, I read that quote also, but I disagree.  The rods and bearings are the
same as those used in the TR6 and I don't see any major problems with bottom
ends wearing out early on these engines.  In fact if the same bore was used
you would have over 1600 cc's.  It is true that these engines don't like to
rev as well, but that's owing to the longer stroke - as typical with all
long stroke 'over square' engines, not the larger bearings.  I don't see any
problem with any engine getting larger bearings, - ( Just my opinion)!
Check your oil pressure when hot, if it's within spec's then not to worry.

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+