RE: Loss O' Power

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Loss O' Power
From: TR6Massey@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 18:28:12 -0500
Fellow Scions,

Since I am now on the Digest my responses are now more generic.

One other thing to check on the loss of power problem is something that
happened to me.  My Gas tank vent line (to the charcoal cannister) came close
enough to the exhaust system to melt and close off the ID.  When running the
engine the fuel pump drew a vacuum on the tank until it could no longer draw
fuel and the engine died.

One clue was the fact that the gas tank oil canned (sucked in with a pop)
before it died.  The clincher, however, was when I open the gas cap to check
to see if the tank was empty I felt like Ross Perot - I heard a giant sucking
sound.

A quick check for this is to try to run with the gas cap ajar.  If this
clears up the problem then ' voila' (eureka), problem diagnosed.

Another kernel of experience added to the collective wisdom.

Dave, St. Louis, MO USA
TR6Massey@aol.com