Re: Clear Windows

To: libertyc@erols.com
Subject: Re: Clear Windows
From: Les Francis <lesf@metronet.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 09:34:41 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hello Group - Call me a cheapo (I've been called worse), but I just can't
 just let go of a perfectly good soft top just because the windows are
cloudy....Has anyone replace windows themselves?

Well, Carl, I may as well 'fess up to occasionaly being both cheap and
goofy.  In the early 80's I decided to replace the rear window on the soft
top on my '76 Spit.  I found some clear plastic for around $20 at, I think,
an auto upholstry shop.  I then cut out the old window, leaving about 1/2"
as a border.  I used a strong needle, cotton thread, and a thimble and
carefully sewed in the new window by hand, using the thimble to force the
needle thru the two layers of plastic.  I then coated the exposed threads
with something - nail polish?  It probably took around 3-4 hours to do the
sewing.  The new plastic did outlast the body of the car, however, which
rapidly rusted away.

I'd suggest biting the bullet and replacing the top.  Then park with the
back window shielded from the sun or unzipped and hanging down.  If the
quarter windows go opaque, it's not such a big deal.  OTOH my hand sewn job,
while functional, wasn't especially pretty.

Regards,
Les Francis
lesf@metronet.com