Re: TR3 Engine work

To: "Jack I Brooks" <jibrooks@juno.com>, <johnhaynes@som-uky.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 Engine work
From: "Al Brenden" <albrendn@premier1.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 21:56:29 -0800
Cc: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sorry to but in here, but I have a little experience that
I'd like to share on this subject.

I picked up a trick for replacing the upper main bearing
shells. There used to available a nifty little gadget called
roll out pins. These were molded aluminum pins that fit
into the oil holes on the crankshaft. You then turned the
crankshaft in the proper direction. The pin stuck out of
the hole just enough to catch the edge of the bearing
shell and rotated it out of the main saddle.

The only problem with these little nifties, was that they
never seemed to be the right angle for any of the jobs
that I did. The solution that I came up with was use a
cotter pin. Find one that will fit into the oil hole head
end first. Then bend the ends to match the angle of
the hole in the crank and trim the ends to the width of
the bearing surface.

Remember to rotate the crank so the pin contacts the
end of the bearing shell without the tang. These trick has
always worked for me.

Hope this helps,
Al Brenden
albrendn@premier1.net