Suspension A-Arm holes

To: Triumph listserv <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Suspension A-Arm holes
From: Paul Cormier <compubbs@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 23:13:44 -0400
Hi,

I'm getting ready to re-assemble my front suspension on my 66 spitfire,
and I've notice that some of the bolt holes on the lower A-Arm wishbone
which attach to the trunnion and shock absorber are a wee bit larger
than the actual bolt diameter.

After looking closely, I've noticed that the guy who dissassembled the
car was able to remove the bolt AND the metal sleeve on the trunnion
through this hole.  (Instead of simply cutting the bolt off)

I'm afraid that this larger hole won't make for a good safe ride.  The
larger hole is also "flaired" a bit on one side, due to the passage of
the metal sleeve.

I will try to pound the "flair" back into place, but I'm prett sure the
hole will still be larger than normal.  Would it be possible to weld on
a washer to the wishbone in order to make the hole the correct diameter
for the bolt, or am I just waisting my time here since there's only one
hole from each trunnion assembly which is larger than the other.

..Paul