Re: Frozen calipers...

To: "Eric Straub" <ericst@MICROSOFT.com>, "'ngaard@ibm.net'" <ngaard@ibm.net>, "'andertonm@juno.com'" <andertonm@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Frozen calipers...
From: "Al Brenden" <albrendn@premier1.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 13:41:02 -0800
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi,

I once had to remove a stuck piston from a caliper on a
'70's Barracuda. Seem's the owner had run the pads down to
metal and then taken it to the service station (remember those?)
The service station had taken the old pads out and attempted to
retract the piston using screwdrivers. Wouldn't budge. They
came to the parts store I was working at and bought a
piston pusher from me. This is a X-type tool that you put between
the pads in the caliper and screw the handle in and it pushes
the piston in. Well, about an half hour later they bring the
tool back all bent to hell. Said it didn't work. I told them that I
would come over after work and see what the problem was.
When I got there I took a look the caliper. I could see that the
piston was cocked in the bore of the caliper. The piston had
come out so far when the pads wore to metal that the piston
cocked. I tried the trick with high pressure air, with no success.
I finally adapted a grease fitting to the hose connection on the
caliper and used the station's high pressure grease gun.
The piston just oozed right out. Had to sell them a new piston
as the old one had great dings from being cocked.

Was a messy cleaning job for them afterwards, but far cheaper
than a new caliper.

Sorry to ramble on like this, but thought it might be helpful.

Al Brenden
albrendn@premier1.net