A question of TRunions

To: daverne@dlcwest.com (Doug Daverne), Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: A question of TRunions
From: mbarre@juno.com (Matt Barre)
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 09:54:51 PST
I wouldn't ride around with a suspension that shows a questionable gap
between the trunion and the vertical link.  FWIW I had a trunion
completely separate from the link while on the road in my TR6.  Luckily
I was turning around in a parking lot (No I didn't hit any large chuck
holes, it just came apart!) and not on the road at speed which I was
only seconds before.  Very sobering thought.  The front side of the car
just fell down on top of the tire.

I didn't do a thorough failure analysis but it appeared the threads of
the trunion just pulled out.  I had routinely lubed with gear oil per
factory instructions but don't know what the DPO had done.

Be careful out there!
mrb